In my previous posts I’ve mentioned ‘storybuilding,’ and how the Internet can allow a story to grow as more information comes in, unlike the traditional newspaper that published a single insular story.

I was wandering, (I don’t surf, I wander), through Jeff Jarvis’ blog today ‘Buzz Machine’, and found some interesting discussion on this idea.

He quite simply states that journalism is a ‘process not a product’ (Oct 17 post). The recent financial crisis has shown how this process is important as the story is just too big to understand in a three minute clip on television.

The focus of journalism may no longer be in the finished article, but in the way the audience gets the story. In other words, the journey, not the destination is what’s important in modern news telling.

Now every story is multifaceted: there’s the initial story, then links, video, feed, narrative, comment and corrections. It makes sense that trying to tie up all the loose ends of every story for publication is not natural.

However following through with this idea would turn every story into a wiki, which defeats the prime purpose of news as telling the audience the important facts. Endless stories would not help the information overload that we can experience on the Internet today.

I suppose every story must end somewhere. Although I like the idea of Internet storybuilding as a flexible and interactive tool, are we making news more complicated than it should be?

media glut

image courtesy Karen Jenkins